Scuba dive Australia’s Great Barrier Reef’s famous Cod Hole and Ribbon Reefs with liveaboard dive boat, Spirit of Freedom.
This sleek and spacious vessel offers quality liveaboard tours to certified scuba divers and is also suitable for those only wishing to snorkel.
Over your 7 day cruise you will have the opportunity to complete up to 26 scuba dives (including night dives) and spend some time ashore at the beautiful Lizard Island, located in the heart of the Coral Sea.
Tours depart Mondays at 12 noon and return to Cairns the following Monday at 6.30am.
Your Great Barrier Reef Liveaboard Dive Trip Includes:
- 7 days 7 nights liveaboard accommodation onboard ‘Spirit of Freedom’ – 6½ dive days*
- Up to 26 scuba dives with no set limits on dive duration
- Time ashore at the beautiful Lizard Island
- Bus transfers to and from Cairns City accommodation
- Wonderful chef prepared meals daily
- Complimentary wine and soft drinks with evening meals
- Air conditioned, en-suite cabins with daily service
* Basic package based on certified divers with quad-share accommodation. Different cabin styles and prices available upon booking to best suit your requirements – all cabins have private bathrooms and air-conditioning.
Monday: Pick you up from your Cairns hotel around 11:00am to transfer you to Trinity Wharf, where you will board the vessel.
You will be greeted by the Spirit of Freedom crew, who will give you an orientation of the vessel before a 12noon departure. Enjoy lunch on board while we cruise to the outer Great Barrier Reef for an afternoon check-out dive and a twilight or night dive. After dinner, we cruise north to the Ribbon Reefs.
Tuesday & Wednesday: These two days are spent diving at the most northern of the Ribbon Reefs, Number 9 & 10 Ribbon Reefs. Dive sites and sequence may vary depending on the weather conditions, but will always include at least one dive at the Cod Hole, where you encounter a family of massive and very friendly Potato Cod. Other sites may include Wonder-wall, Pixie Pinnacle, Challenger Bay, Two Towers, Lighthouse Bommie, and the Snake Pit, just to name a few. If the current is right, you may also take a drift dive at Dynamite Pass, well known as a channel for sharks to pass through. Ribbon Reefs. 4 to 5 dives will be available each day, including a night dive on the Tuesday. On Wednesday evening, we overnight at Watson’s Bay, Lizard Island, and enjoy a sunset BBQ dinner on the top deck.
Thursday: After breakfast you will have the opportunity to go ashore at Lizard Island. A good chance to stretch your legs on land at this half way point, you can take the guided walk from Watson’s Beach to Mary Watson’s cottage over Chinaman’s Ridge and back to the beach.
Around 11.00am we will cruise back to Ribbon Reef Number 10 for two dives at a choice of sites including the Snake Pit, Cod Hole, Challenger Bay, Lighthouse Bommie, Pixie Wall, and Pixie Pinnacle. If the tide permits we may repeat a dive at the Cod Hole or visit new sites. We depart in the evening for a 10 hour crossing to Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea.
Friday & Saturday: Two days will be spent diving Osprey Reef (weather permitting). Australia’s Coral Sea reefs are renown for crystal clear water with visibility ranging 30 to 100 metres. The landscape is amazing with sheer walls laced with gorgonians, sea whips, and bright yellow soft corals, rising from the ocean floor thousands of feet below. ‘North Horn’ is a dive site at the tip of Osprey where grey reef sharks, silvertips, and the occasional oceanic congregate, and you can experience a close encounter with the Spirit of Freedom shark attraction dive. 4 to 5 dives will be available each day, including a night dive on the Friday. See the dive site page for site selection of some of our dive sites at Osprey Reef. On Saturday night, we will depart Osprey Reef for overnight travel to the Ribbon Reefs.
Sunday: At Ribbon Reefs Number 3 we will dive such sites as the sensational Steve’s Bommie, Temple of Doom, and Flare Point. A second option for this day, in special weather conditions, is to head south from Opsrey to Bougainville Reef, known for its unusual underwater landscape or caverns, and its partially submerged wreck. On Sunday evening, we will cruise overnight back to Cairns.
Monday: We arrive back into Cairns at 6:30am. Enjoy a light breakfast on board and a group photo opportunity before being dropped back to your Cairns hotel around 08.00am.This Itinerary is a sample only and sites may vary or change. Access to Cod Hole and the Coral Sea is tide and weather conditional.[
- Advance Type Diving Diver experience recommendation:
- Advanced Diver Certification with a minimum of 20 ocean dives including 5 dives in the last 12 months Less experience may result in limited diving due to environmental conditions and remote isolation of dive sites.
- We recommend a Scuba diver Refresher course prior to your trip.
- Diver Health. If you have a medical condition or are currently taking prescription medication, you will need a Dive Medical clearance pursuant to the Australian standard AS. 4005.1. Before being allowed to Scuba Dive.
- For further details contact our Reservations team.
What to Bring
- Personal luggage, clothes, toiletries etc
- Maximum 20 kg (45lb)luggage allowance per person including carry-on.
- Excess baggage secure storage available upon request
- Personal Dive Equipment – Also available for hire upon booking if required.
- (Snorkel-only passengers snorkel equipment provided free of charge)
- Certification card or divers logbook
- Cash or credit card for onboard purchases $20 AUD Reef Tax & Fuel Levy to pay onboard (mandatory national park fees)
- Full Equipment Hire $245
- Regulator and Dive computer $45.00
- Dive computer only $35
- Buoyancy Control Device $45.00
- Torch and Cyalume sticks $10.00
- Wetsuits 3mm and 5mm full Length $30.00
- PADI Advanced Course $265.00
- PADI Nitrox Course $295.00
- 7 Day Nitrox Package $180.00
- Dive deck
- containing individual stations for 26 guests with dry storage above and storage box under for every 2 divers.
- Air and Nitrox whips allowing tanks to remain in their rack, supplying air and Nitrox at 32%
- Camera wash tub, small camera table and air gun for Photographers
- Dive Deck Holds: 2 x Bauer 21 CFM Compressors
- DNA x Nitrox Membrane System
- 65cf & 88 cf Alloy tanks
- Uwatec Aladin Prime dive Computers
- All individual Scuba Great Items
The Upper Deck
a great place to relax between dives, with undercover and open areas containing timber table, chairs, lounge seating and sun lounges
The Dining saloon
Being the centre of the vessel the dining room is also used as a breifing area, theatre room and general meeting place. All guests can be comfortably seated with a 42 inch wide tv screen is often the focus of attention for briefings, movies or documentaries you can work with your laptops using the wireless internet (when in range)
The Forward lounge
Another place to chill, with comfortable couch seating and bean bags. You will find a coffee machine, tea selection and hot water, a library with books and DVD’s
for photographers there is also a camera work station with power boards and converters for 110 volt. flat screen TV and DVD.
The Ships Bar
offering a good range of quality Australian and New Zealand wins, plus beer, UDL spirits and soft drinks all at a very reasonable price. On the scheduled dive trips, the house wine and soft drinks are included during your evening meal.
this Vessel is fully licenced – NO BYO’s
- Daily cabin service (including towels)
- Wide screen TV/DVD
- Comfortable lounge areas and sun-deck
- Air-conditioning throughout
Please read the ‘policies’ of your tour below prior to booking, including terms and conditions